This is my daughter, Joy’s, favorite green chile recipe.This is her note on how to prepare it:
Serves 8 (Cut recipe in half to serve 4 or freeze half for a later meal.)
2 lbs Ground Beef or Buffalo
2.5 lbs Green Chile (pick the level of spice you prefer)
*Use Fresh Roasted Green Chile, or Flash Frozen Roasted Green Chile (Bueno Green Chile is one example of a brand you can purchase at the grocery store that is already roasted, chopped and ready to go)
One 14.5 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
4 Cloves Garlic – minced or chopped
1 Large Onion Chopped
1 Cup Cold Water mixed with 2 to 3 table spoons of Tapioca Flour, Arrow Root or Flour (thickening agent)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Cilantro Chopped for garnish
Chips and/or Flour Tortillas
Footnote: If roasted chilies are not available you will need to roast them yourself. A grill works best. Roast Anaheim or New Mexico Chiles on a grill till they are black on all sides. Place in a plastic bad in the freezer for ten minutes. This will make it easier to peel them. Rub the blackened skin off and rinse clean. Then cut in half lengthwise, seed and chop.
1. Brown the beef on med heat, then drain the fat
2. Add onion to the meat and let it cook for a few minutes, then add the garlic and let it cook for another min.
3. Add the water with thickening agent to the cooked beef (1 cup cold water mixed in 2 to 3 table spoons of tapioca flour). Wait for it to thicken. If its not thick enough for your liking, then you do it one more time but add less water and more of the thickening agent.
4. In a large pot add tomato, chile, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil.
5. Once the mixture is boiling then add the meat mixture and mix all together.
5. Lower heat, cover and simmer for approximately 20 min
6. Top with Chopped Cilantro for Garnish
7. Serve with chips and/or flour tortillas
Green Chile & Rice Casserole
For a variation of the Green Chile Stew (or if it’s too hot for your taste — especially if you used hot chiles):
With half of the above recipe add:
1 cup sour cream
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2 to 3 cups of cooked brown rice
Heat through and serve with organic corn chips and a green salad.